I know I’m not the only one who’s had days where I learn someone’s name and forget it within minutes. Or when I stop into the store for two essential items (things I get regularly), but I toss everything in the cart — other than the Two Key Things.
Nearly everyone has experiences like this from time to time. Some of us worry it may be a sign that our memory is slowing down. But what if I told you that these memory issues might be happening because we didn’t concentrate enough to properly store the information?
While some people have actual memory issues, others might be experiencing concentration or organizational problems. It could be that they’re not picking up the information, or it’s not being processed correctly to begin with.
Memory, concentration, organization, and focus go hand-in-hand. Focus, concentration, and organization problems can be the underlying issues causing problems with our memory.
There are various reasons why we sometimes struggle with concentration and focus. Let’s focus on how to regain it.
How To Regain Focus
One of the critical elements to improving our focus and memory is changing our behaviors. We should also set ourselves up so that we can process information in the most efficient ways. Concentrating on a single task at a time allows us to devote our full attention to the task at hand.
Modify Our Environment
Modifying our environment to minimize distractions we know cause us to lose focus and attention. Each time we switch tasks without completing one first, we’re chiseling away at our attention span. The more we remain focused on one thing, the better our concentration and memory skills will be.
Visualization and association can be powerful tools. The more ways we can process information, the higher our chances of retaining and remembering it. Visualization helps us go back into our minds to look through our memories for the information we store.
Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy
Cognitive rehabilitation therapy has people working closely with a practitioner to develop an individualized treatment to help them train in ways to boost attention and improve memory. Some approaches include:
- Memory Books
- Brain Fitness Training (computer training apps and programs)
- Organization Strategies & Exercises
- Aerobic Exercises
Maintaining certain habits can improve our focus. If we change the way we process information, it can have an incredible downstream effect, benefiting our memory.
5 Tips To Improve Focus & Memory
- Get Some Solid Sleep: 7 or more hours.
- Maintain A Heart-Healthy Lifestyle: It’s believed that healthy hearts are associated with better cognitive abilities)
- Limit Caffeine: While moderate amounts of caffeine can improve our focus on a short-term level, overconsumption can have the opposite effect.
- Avoid Multitasking: Multitasking can be an effective way to get things done, but too much of anything can be harmful. When we have focus and memory issues, it’s best to avoid multitasking as often as possible, especially when one task requires our full attention.
- Repeat New Information: Whether it’s someone’s name, directions, instructions, or a grocery list, repeat it repeatedly. Take a minute or two to rehearse it later throughout the day. Reread specific paragraphs or sentences to help you remember them.
Board games, puzzles, and memory games can help us improve our brain function. When considering our overall health and wellness, we should strive to engage in physical activity daily, get an hour or so of fresh air and sunshine, destress, and take care of our being’s every fiber. Oh yeah, eating healthy and nutritious food is a major must.
0 comments on “Easy Ways to Improve Your Memory”